Guardian Children's Books Poll

I found this poll on the Guardian's new online blog. It addresses on of the more interesting question in children's and teens fiction. Should (children's) books reflect real life, or is a good dose of fantasy what the kids really want? My personal choice always leaned more towards the fantasy end of the spectrum... and still does. And while I admit to the desire for some real life from time to time, I still want to escape into the improbable, the unlikely and the fantastic most of the time. I live in the real world every day, after all. Escape is the operative word for me.
As it turns out, I'm not alone in this. Of all of those who participated in the poll, 31.3% said they preferred to read books they felt were relevant to their own lives, while 68.8% read to escape reality. Interesting..... what do you think?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-books-site/poll/2011/mar/16/poll-books-real-life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rights of the Reader

The Summer of Lily and Esme by John Quinn....25 years

Joyous Jolabokaflod!!!!